San Francisco Bay Area CA Attorneys
General Civil Practice Including Business, Real Estate, Probate And Related Litigation
At the Law Offices of William D. Whiteman in San Francisco, we are committed to our clients' success. To this end, we place a premium on being accessible and going the extra mile to meet our clients' needs. Our goal is to make every client feel like his or her case is our only case. We are results-driven professionals who make every effort to resolve legal concerns in a cost-efficient manner.
Our primary areas of practice include:
- Civil Litigation: Strategic representation in General Civil Litigation in State and Federal Courts
- Business Law: Formations, Entity Selection, Contracts, Employment Matters, Independent Contractors, Operating and Management Problems, Sale of Business, Mergers, Acquisitions and litigation arising out of the above and related areas
- Real Estate: Purchase and Sale, Leasing, Nondisclosure, Seller Fraud, HOA Disputes, and Real Estate Litigation related to these matters
- Competitive Business Practices: Trade Secret Misappropriation, Nondisclosure Agreements (NDAs), Noncompete Agreements, Customer List Disputes, B & P Code §17200, Interference with Economic Advantage, Employment Disputes and all similar matters and related litigation
- Probate Law: Guidance through both the Contested and Uncontested Probate process, Trust Administration, Disputes and related matters
The Law Offices of William D. Whiteman has the breadth of experience necessary to effectively address a broad range of legal matters. If a case develops so as to require expertise we do not have, we will associate other lawyers who are particularly qualified to provide the necessary advice or assistance.
At the Law Offices of William D. Whiteman in San Francisco we understand that litigation is not part of our clients' business plans or personal goals. However, disputes between business partners, property owners, family members and other parties often arise unexpectedly, threatening financial security. In such cases, the assistance of a highly experienced litigation attorney can be invaluable.
Our California lawyers each have more than 25 years of legal experience representing clients throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Together, they take prompt, strategic action to resolve disputes and protect our clients' interests in:
- Business litigation — breach of contract, partnership disputes, misappropriation of trade secrets or client lists, vendor disputes, unfair business practices and other business matters
- Real estate litigation — disputes between co-owners, lease disputes, homeowners association (HOA) disputes, failure to disclose/seller fraud and related real estate litigation
- Employment litigation — wage and hour disputes, harassment or discrimination claims, misappropriation of proprietary information by employees and similar matters
- Probate litigation — contested probate matters, trust disputes, breach of fiduciary duty and related matters
Minimizing The Financial Impact
Our law firm understands the importance of minimizing the economic impact of litigation. We strive to be cost-sensitive, and we explore non-litigious avenues to dispute resolution when possible. Our practice model allows us to provide high-quality services at rates few large firms can meet.
At the Law Offices of William D. Whiteman in San Francisco, our seasoned lawyers provide assistance with business formation, operations and management to business owners throughout the Bay Area. We are cost-sensitive advocates for our clients' interests and objectives, and we go the extra mile to attain their goals in the most effective manner possible.
Founded in 1991, our California law firm counsels and represents clients in issues related to:
- Business formation and entity selection
- Business mergers, purchases and acquisitions
- Contract drafting and review
- Employment issues
- Leasing and tenancy
- Business transactions
- Ownership changes
- Shareholder and management disputes
Business Entity Selection And Other Startup Issues
Our San Francisco business formation attorneys advise new business owners about the best type of entity to establish, based on their unique objectives, tax considerations and other relevant factors. We also draft and file all necessary documentation for startup businesses. We can help clients form:
- Sole proprietorships
- General partnerships
- Limited partnerships
- Limited liability partnerships (LLPs)
- Limited liability companies (LLCs)
Entity selection is a critical component of business formation and one that carries significant implications with regard to liability. A sole proprietorship is at one end of the spectrum leaving the business owner personally responsible. A corporation is at the other end. While its shareholders may be exempt from personal liability, they often are excluded from exercising control over the day-to-day activities of the company.
Located in San Francisco, the Law Offices of William D. Whiteman represent real estate buyers, sellers, homeowners and other parties in both transactional matters and in real estate litigation.
Founding attorney William D. Whiteman has more than 30 years of experience. He and our entire team are committed to providing clients with attentive counsel and personal service. We do not view our clients' cases merely as sources of income for our firm; instead, we approach every case with a passion for achieving successful results.
We handle a wide variety of real estate matters, including:
- Failure to disclose/real estate seller fraud
- Real estate purchases and sales
- Partition actions and co-ownership disputes
- Leasing and related litigation
- Davis-Stirling or homeowners' association (HOA) disputes
- Homeowner and neighborhood disputes
Partition Actions In California
Whether voluntarily purchased jointly or passively acquired, such as by inheritance, co-owners of real estate (with the exception of spouses and domestic partners) who disagree on fundamental issues can seek resolution through a partition action. While the court may order the property to be physically divided between the co-owners, a forced sale is the typical result.
Failure To Disclose/Seller Fraud
Residential property owners frequently discover after closing that the seller failed to disclose certain problems with the property. Those problems can relate to access, prior damage, neighborhood conditions or something else. In many of these cases, the seller had an obligation to disclose the condition but failed to do so. We help buyers in these situations explore both litigation and non-litigation solutions which force sellers or real estate agents to pay for their fraudulent actions.
The Law Offices of William D. Whiteman guide clients through these court proceedings and diligently advocate for their interests. To learn more about our services in this or any other area of our practice, call our experienced San Francisco real property lawyers at 415-906-3460 or send an email to our office. Credit cards are accepted.
Competitive Business Practices
At the Law Offices of William D. Whiteman we strive to provide cost-efficient and results-focused solutions to our clients' legal concerns. Our San Francisco lawyers have more than 50 years of combined experience and the detailed knowledge necessary to address a full array of issues pertaining to competitive business practices in California.
We handle business litigation and other matters relating to:
- Nondisclosure agreements (NDAs)
- Noncompete agreements
- Disputes arising from unfair business practices
- Business and Professions Code section 17200, which addresses unfair competition
- such as fraudulent business acts, misleading advertising and other practices
- Misappropriation of trade secrets
- Interference with prospective economic advantage
- Misappropriation of client lists
- Independent contractor issues
- Other issues involving proprietary information or business practices
NDAs And Other Restrictive Covenants
At the Law Offices of William D. Whiteman we are available to draft, review and interpret restrictive covenants such as noncompete and nondisclosure agreements. An employee who leaves the company and takes a new position with a competitor can greatly benefit from having a thorough knowledge of his or her rights and obligations. Likewise, business owners need to understand how to protect the confidentiality of their proprietary information and retain their client base.
In addition to transactional and review work, our experienced business law attorneys litigate a full range of actions arising when an employee unexpectedly departs attempting to take clients and even co-employees. We also handle the temporary restraining orders (TROs) and preliminary injunctions which are routinely part of the landscape in competitive business practice litigation and which are frequently necessary to protect our clients' interests.
Are you looking for a probate attorney? Probate administration involves inventorying the assets of the deceased, paying debts and taxes of the deceased and estate, and distributing the balance to the beneficiaries or heirs. At The Law Offices of William D. Whiteman, we represent probate administrators and executors in probate court. Our professionals will work to provide you with the reliable support and assistance you require.
- Guidance through both the Contested and Uncontested Probate process
- Trust Administration
- Disputes and related matters